We are pleased to announce a new support class for people who have recently purchased a telescope. We have determined a way that we can have an open air class for up to 10 telescopes and we welcome anyone who has recently purchased a telescope to join us for 4 hours on a Saturday night to learn the basics of how to setup and drive their scope. Please note you must have your own telescope and cannot share one on the field due to covid restrictions.
The Beginners Night in the Field (BNF) is part of the society’s New Astronomers Group (NAG) which operates classroom-based courses although these are currently restricted due to COVID. It will include a guided walk-through where experienced astronomers and astrophotographers will assist you to set up your own scope and have a guided tour through the heavens.
Places are limited and registration is required to attend. There is a small $20 fee per telescope for non-members (max 4 people per telescope) to cover costs. Bookings can be made by adding the following item to your cart and proceeding with the order.
The night includes;
- Demonstration on how to set up a typical telescope (Celestron, Meade and SkyWatcher)
- An allocated astronomer who will be familiar with your equipment (if one of the 3 above).
- At registration time you can nominate specific interests or questions you might have so we can make sure that these are answered on the night
- Time for you to setup your own scope with assistance from your astronomer
- Viewing time to observe objects such as;
- The Jewel Box NGC4755
- Omega Centauri Globular Cluster NGC5139
- Jupiter and Saturn
- The Butterfly Cluster NGC6405
- Question and Answer time with your allocated Astronomer
The class will be conducted in a safe distancing manner and you will be required to confirm a social distancing statement when you register.
Please note that if your night is clouded over then the following Wednesday and Thursday will be the backup nights. If these nights are not suitable then the event will be cancelled and any deposit will be refunded. Where possible, we will look to give you priority booking for the next BNF, if spots are available.
We’d love to introduce you to the fascinating world of astronomy and if you have made the recent decision to purchase a telescope, this Beginners Night in the Field will make it easy for you to get started on your journey.
If you have any questions then please use the contact form at the NSAS website (https://nsas.org.au/about-nsas/contact-us/).