Professional Astronomy Organisations
Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
- Astronomical Society of New South Wales (ASNSW)
- Northern Sydney Astronomical Society (NSAS)
- Astronomical Society of Coonabarabran Inc.
- Macarthur Astronomical Society Inc (MAS)
- Newcastle Astronomical Society
- Shoalhaven Astronomers
- Sutherland Astronomical Society (SASI)
- Western Sydney Amateur Astronomy Group Inc (WSAAG)
- Wollongong Amateur Astronomy Club (WAAC)
- Illawarra Astronomical Society (IAS)
- Astronomical Association of Queensland (AAQ)
- Brisbane Astronomical Society (BAS)
- Redlands Astronomical Society (RAS)
- South East Queensland Astronomical Society (SEQAS)
- Southern Astronomical Society (SAS)
- Astronomical Society of Victoria Inc (ASV)
- Astronomical Society of Albury-Wodonga (ASAW)
- Astronomy Benalla
- Ballarat Astronomical Society
- Latrobe Valley Astronomical Society
- Mornington Peninsula Astronomical Society (MPAS)
- Astronomical Society of Geelong
The following list of suppliers has been obtained from advertisements in magazines. A listing on this page does not imply any endorsement of the supplier by WSAAG. The list is simply a service to the users of this site. The order of listing is alphabetical to remove any implied ranking from the list.
- Adelaide Optical Centre - SA
- Andrews Communications - NSW
- Astro Anarchy - QLD
- Astro Dog - QLD
- Astro Shop - NSW
- Astronomy Alive - VIC
- Astronomy and Electronics Centre - SA
- Advanced Telescope Supplies - NSW
- Bintel - NSW, VIC
- ExtraVision - QLD
- Frontier Optics - NSW
- OpticsCentral - VIC
- OZScopes - VIC
- ProAstroz - NSW
- SDM Telescopes - VIC
- Sidereal Trading - VIC
- Sirius Optics - QLD
- Telescopes & Astronomy - SA
- Testar - NSW
- SAO - Swinburne Astronomy Online - Postgraduate Degree Programs In Astronomy.
- Sydney Observatory - Astronomy Courses - Continuing education courses designed to introduce Astronomy without mathematics.
- Sydney Observatory - A museum about astronomy with night viewings.
- Western Sydney University Observatory - Provides public lectures and observing programs.
- Astronomy Picture of the Day - A different picture each day with an explanation.
- Amateur Astronomy Picture of the Day (AAPOD2) - The goal is to collect the best Amateur Astronomy images.
- Lunar Photo of the Day - A different lunar picture each day with an explanation.
- Heavens Above - Site providing tracking information for satellites and sky maps for your location.
- Star of the Week - Site containing comprehensive details for many stars.
- Zooniverse - Home to many astronomy and non-astronomy interactive projects.
- Sixty Symbols - Site containing many short astronomy and physics videos.
- Deep Sky Videos - Site containing many short astronomy videos.
- Use of Colour Filters - Article on the use of colour filters by the Hubble Space Telescope.
Observing Reference Material
- Interactive Sky Charts - Site containing interactive sky charts and catalogues for deep sky observers.
- Royal Astronomical Society of New Zealand - Site containing useful information for Southern Hemisphere observers.
- Limiting Magnitude Charts - A page on estimating the limiting magnitude of your observing site.
- Deep Sky Hunter Star Atlas - Site containing a printable atlas for deep sky observers.
- Herschel 400 - A list of deep sky objects that are a natural extension of the Messier list.
- Astro-Tom.com - Site containing a list of deep sky objects and tips on their observation.
- Lunar 100 - Site containing a list of lunar objects to observe.
- NGC / IC Project - The NGC/IC Project is an attempt to correctly identify all of the original NGC and IC objects.
Telescope Tuning, Mounts, Aligning and DIY
- Wooden Parallelogram Binocular Mount - An all wood parallelogram binocular mount.
- Parallelogram Binocular Mount - Parallelogram binocular mount constructed with rectangular hollow section tubing.
- Collimating a Newtonian Reflector - Video tutorial on collimating a Newtonian reflector.
- Drift Alignment - Site containing a step by step guide to using the drift method for polar alignment.
ATM (Amateur Telescope Making)
- BBAstroDesigns - Site containing useful information on telescope design.
- Stellafane - Site containing ideas and designs for telescopes.
- NINA - Complete Imaging and control software package (very popular, free and has the latest innovations).
- SGPro - Complete Imaging and control software package (a bit dated and commercial).
- PHP2 - The most popular guiding software (free).
- ASTAP - the Astrometric STAcking Program - A popular, fast and free plate-solving software.
- APT - "AstroPhotography Tool" the Swiss army knife for your astro imaging sessions. Also an option for DSLR users.
- SharpCap - Astronomy camera capture featuring Polar Alignment and Planetary Imaging.
- Firecapture - Astronomy camera capture for planetary imaging.
- RTGUI - Windows application that produces observing lists and can control some Goto telescopes.
- NightCal - Windows application that produces a monthly calendar of the moon phases, sunrise/set, moonrise/set and conjunctions.
- Virtual Moon Atlas - Windows application that provides information on the features of the moon.
- PocketStars - Planetarium software for Windows, smartphones and PDAs.
- Cartes du Ciel - Planetarium software for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
- StarCalc - A Windows based planetarium package that is expandable to use common databases.
- Stellarium - A planetarium package for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
- Voyager and SkyGazer - Planetarium software packages for Windows and Mac OS X users.
- Keith's Image Stacker - Image processing software for the Macintosh system.
- AstroPlanner - Software for observation planning, visualisation and logging.
- NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Minor Planet Center - The official body that deals with astrometric observations and orbits of minor planets (asteroids) and comets.
- The Nine Planets - Site with information on just about every object in the solar system.
- The Asteroid Belt - Site containing basic information on the asteroid belt and other solar system objects.
- ICQ Comet Information - Site containing information on comets and tips on observing comets.
- International Meteor Organization - Site containing observing methods, results and news on meteors.
- Visual Satellite Observer's Home Page - Site containing information on satellites and satellite observing techniques.
- Royal Observatory of Belgium - Solar Influences Data Analysis Center
- Space Weather Advisory Outlook - Website of the NOAA / Space Weather Prediction Center.
- Lunar and Planetary Institute - Site containing photos and maps of the moon and planets.
- Sky and Telescope Lunar 100 - Article on the Lunar 100 observing list.
- Lunar 100 Map - Site containing a map of the Lunar 100 observing list.
- Shoestring Astronomy Lunar 100 - Site containing the Lunar 100 observing list and images.
- The Lunar 100 - This site contains a summary chart of the Lunar 100 observing list.
- Lunar 100 - This site has a summary map and a list with images of the Lunar 100 observing list.
- Google Moon - This site has detailed images of the lunar surface with information on the lunar landings.
- CCD Images of Messier Objects
- LEDAS: digitized sky survey - Site containing images of astronomical objects selected by name or coordinates.
- STScI Digitized Sky Survey - Site containing images of astronomical objects selected by name or coordinates.
- American Association of Variable Star Observers (AAVSO)
- International Supernovae Network
- Astronomy Now Online - An online astronomy news site.
- Astronomy Magazine - An online astronomy magazine.
- Australian Sky and Telescope - An Australian based monthly magazine.
- Sky and Telescope - US based astronomy magazine.
- Sky at Night Magazine - UK based astronomy magazine.
Buy And Sell
- Astro Buy and Sell - Australia's Best Classifieds for Used Telescopes and Accessories.